by Yuri Rabinovich
Investor Demo day is a great opportunity to start your fund raising process. This is your chance to get invited to the followup meetings with investors and potentially get $ to scale your business if they believe in your team and the product vision.
The presentation that you should prepare for the demo day will be limited to 3, 5 or 10 min where you have your chance to shine in order to attract the eyes of visiting investors. We suggest to cover the listed topics and address the questions in well designed slides. Your slides shouldn't talk, you are the one who talk and describe what are you working on and what do you want to achieve.
Your pitch should cover the following key elements: (Read More)
- Intro to the problem - What is the GAP? Why are you doing this and not something else? You can always work for a corporate or another startup. Tell a story.
- Your team - Please emphasize why this is the right team to execute and lead the company given that you get the wished investment. What did you achieve before? What is the expertise of the team? Don't shy to show your small achievements. Show your energy and passion.
- Opportunity - Describe how big is the problem, who is the target customer/user audience for your solution, why there is a need for another product/company in the market?
- Solution - How do you solve the problem, what is the secret sauce? What is unique? Where is the innovation? Is it a scalable startup or just lifetime business.
- Go to market and user acquisition strategy - How are you going to attract your users to use your product? Why should they transition to your service? What are the game mechanics of user engagement? Where is the virality of the product? Why should I use it again after the first time? What is the marketing strategy? Key partnerships, etc.
- Competition - Who are your competitors? Don't say that there is no competition!!! How are you different? Why are you the one to be the leader in the market? Do you want to be a leader or leader in some niche of the market? How are you different? Don't say you are the best. Prove it with numbers, user experience, growth in metrics.
- Current Traction/Metrics - What did you achieve so far? Show your product - Recorded Demo (30 seconds) or snapshots, present the collected metrics. Emphasize why these numbers show viability of your product in the market. Investor should see the potential for growth and validation of the need for your company.
- Business Model - How are you going to generate money? How do you make people pay for your service and being happy? Why this is the best business model? What did you validate? How many paying customer do you have?
- Road Map - Explain what are you planning to achieve in the coming 6 months/1 year. When are you going to be cash positive? How many users do you plan to have in your product? When will you need more money for scaling?
- Money Needed - How much money do you need to take your product to the next level. Base your ask on realistic needs (Employees, Operations, Marketing, Offices, Travel). You should plan carefully how many additional people and why do you need them in order to be able to achieve your goals in the Road Map. You need the money in order to be able to execute better than your competitors. If you are too slow, you will loose. There are many others with the same idea and better execution. Ask for enough for you to get to the next level so that you will be able to reach your milestones.
- Help Needed - What help do you need? Money is not enough. You want Smart Money - advisors, partnerships, mentors, great talent (A players). When you choose your investors you should look for Smart Money investors who can help you waste their money strategically.
- Call to action - You want the audience to try your tool or at least register as beta user for the closed beta version. Ask them to share your product to their network and friends.
Good luck to our Startup Accelerator teams who are working hard to prepare for the Investor Demo Day in July 26th in Redwood City.
We invite investors to join the demo day and see the current status of the presenting startups
RSVP by filling the form and getting approval
The event is invite only for investors and mentors. Sorry that we can't accomodate others because of the limited space and the needs of the startups.